Thursday, August 5, 2010

Duffy's Bar & Grill, 337 Central Ave., Osseo







Only one week back in town after a vacation, I decided to stay in downtown Osseo -- location of my home away from home, the Sun Newspapers building -- for my next Neat Eats entry.

My work home has been in Osseo since April 2008, and early on I was charmed by the town's main drag (Central Avenue) and vowed to make short time in visiting each of the fun-looking, non-chain and locally owned bars and restaurants that lined the street. In 2+ years I've enjoyed a few meals -- and sometimes just beer and popcorn -- with coworkers at Dick's Bar & Grill, 205 Central Ave., and I've eaten a gyro or two from the Olympia Cafe, 247 Central Ave. -- but before Friday, July 30, I had never walked as far north away from the newspaper office as Duffy's Bar & Grill, 337 Central Ave.

Inside, I parked myself at a high-topped table and was greeted quickly by a server. She recited a list of specials and after she mentioned a Philly burger with fries, available for less than $6.00, I didn't give much consideration to anything else on the regular menu though I did scan one before she returned for my order.

The burger and fries were fine, nothing spectacular, though cheese, onion and green pepper are always welcome on top of hot ground beef. What made it better was the news that with each lunch entree purchased, a glass of refillable pop comes free. (Go often enough to buy 10 lunches, and the 11th is free.)

When I return, I may have to go at a different time of day to take advantage of Duffy's happy hour domestic tap beer special -- 24 ounces, $2.50. Regular entertainment through the week includes "Bargo" on Tuesday nights and karaoke Saturdays, with something called "Larryoke" Fridays. One can only guess that would involve karaoke hosted by a guy named Larry -- cheesy for some, but I enjoy that kind of atmosphere. And on an upcoming working weekend, I might have to visit Duffy's for breakfast, served 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays.

Comparing Dick's with Duffy's in downtown Osseo, I like the former's layout and seating plan a little more and Dick's also has an asset in an outdoor patio. But everything considered, Duffy's deserves a second visit. Better to have that option (closer to the office!) than Applebee's and all of the other chain restaurants in nearby Maple Grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment