Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jason's Deli, 11995 Singletree Lane, Eden Prairie, MN


Knowing I was required to attend an editors' management meeting at my company's Minnesota HQ in Eden Prairie the afternoon of Wed., March 30, I decided to seek out a second reason for crossing to the other side of Minneapolis for the day, and a friend agreed to meet me for an early dinner. She had offered two Eden Prairie suggestions, and I couldn't remember the name of the first place for longer than 10 seconds after hearing the second name, Jason's Deli.
From the moment I heard that name March 29, part of me kept thinking "Reuben, Reuben, Reuben." After browsing through a menu in this restaurant that is designed in colors of brown, green and burnt orange, I asked what was good there, and my companion recommended the Reuben among other dishes.
I then awaited a sandwich stacked high with corned beef on a great rye bread. My friend said she was impressed that I would eat sauerkraut. Shucks, it's nothing, really. Anyone could do it.
Each sandwich at Jason's is served with chips, and I was pleasantly surprised to find my Reuben came with old-fashioned ripple chips; they haven't yet buckled to the pressures of the kettle chip world.
The meal ended with complimentary soft-serve vanilla ice cream. I was forewarned there was something different about this ice cream, and I was being quizzed. I answered and asked: "It's missing something?" "What?" No clue.
The ice cream at Jason's Deli, it turns out, has no high-fructose corn syrup. That's almost too healthful, but it's all really good.

3 comments:

  1. Not a fan of reuben sandwiches, or Eden Prairie. Not sure I could find that place if I tried.

    I never realized they used fructose corn syrup in ice cream. (Is there such a thing as low-fructose corn syrup?) You learn something every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of Eden Prairie, and I'm a fan of any entrepreneur who opens a successful eating place there. More local establishments, fewer chains, please. And GO LIONS TAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to have a successful local restaurant in EP for many reasons, one of which is the fact nobody can find their way around that city.

    ReplyDelete