Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Border Bar & Grill, Taylors Falls, MN










Ashamed as I am to admit it after growing up and then living most of my adult life in Chisago County, MN, my visit today to the Border Bar was my first. As its name would suggest, the place is at a border -- west across the St. Croix River from St. Croix Falls, WI.

Scan the room, and you should see a neon sign above the grill advising, "Sorry No Waitress, Please Order At Bar." No problem -- I sat at the bar, though most of the 8-10 tables on hand were available at 2 p.m. (some high with stools, others low with chairs, each designed for four guests).

After checking the tap selection almost immediately once I entered the place, I ordered a Newcastle Brown Ale (frosty mug) when asked. For food, I scanned a menu for about a minute before deciding on a Cajun pepperjack burger, for $5.50. The bar offers a signature Border Burger ($8.50) that features a three-quarter-pound patty, served California-style with both Swiss and American cheeses -- but I went there knowing I was also planning a visit tonight to Running Aces Harness Park in Columbus, MN, where on Tuesdays you can get a hot dog for $1 as well as wager as little as $1 on any horse race.

My burger at the Border Bar packed the punch you'd expect from pepperjack cheese and Cajun seasoning. I enjoyed greater overall value for my dollar by ordering French fries (also seasoned) for an extra $1.75. You'll get a heap of crinkle-cut fries. A side of onion rings can be had for $2.95 on top of the price of any burger or sandwich. Or, I also noticed you could have a side of cole slaw for the same price as the fries, but knowing cole slaw comes from cabbage, that just seemed too good for me to be seriously considered. Having seen the other menu items, I'll return at some point for a Roast Beef Melt with onion & Swiss cheese.

As noted, I was there at a low-key hour; when more people are there you might find someone plugging change into a jukebox or pulltab vending machine. There are also arcade games such as Big Buck Hunter and Golden Tee. But in spring, summer or especially the Minnesota autumn, there is way too much fun to be had outdoors in Taylors Falls to concern yourself much with pulltabs or video games. Walk beneath the bridge that crosses the St. Croix River and you can follow a rock trail that will lead you to river overlooks. You could also rent canoes from a local shop, or board a riverboat and let someone else do the steering.

1 comment:

  1. just ate here this weekend after a long day at work. Had the awsome Border burger, fries and a build your own bloddy mary. Everything comes out hot and fresh. Service is great

    ReplyDelete